Poha is one of the popular Indian weight loss recipes that you can include in your diet.
Made with beaten rice with different variations of the recipe this is another best weight loss breakfast Indian recipe.
In this article, I am going to share with you the poha recipe for your weight loss diet plan. You can include this recipe and enjoy your weight loss journey.
The reason poha is a famous weight loss recipe is that it is low in calories and fights hunger efficiently.
We will look into the details of the calories and nutrition profile of poha below. But let me give you a quick over of poha calories.
Calories in Poha:
100 grams or 1 plate of poha has 130 calories. Out of which, you get 2.6 grams of protein and 27g of carbs.
- Carbs: 27g
- Protein: 2.6g
- 130 calories in 100 g of poha
This is like a boon recipe for people who are on weight loss, particularly for vegetarians.
So, here comes the poha recipe for your weight loss diet plan.
Table of Contents
Poha weight loss recipe: 2 Servings
I am going to share with you the recipe keeping in mind calories and a weight loss-friendly diet. So, the recipe will contain different veggies.
Commonly, the poha recipe has only a few veggies ingredients like onion, tomato, etc.
So, my version of poha recipe will have other veggies as well to make it a more weight loss-friendly diet.
Ingredients for poha recipe
- Soaked beaten rice: Chiwda (1.5 cups)
- Green beans: Chopped (1/4 cup)
- Capsicum: Small chunks (1/4 cup)
- Cauliflower: Small chunks (1/4 cup)
- Green peas: 1 tablespoon
- Carrot: Chopped (1/4 cup)
- Onion: Chopped in slices (1 pc medium size)
- Tomatoes (1/3 cup)
- Corriander leaves (1 tbsp)
- Roasted Peanuts (1 tbsp)
- Black pepper (a pinch)
- Turmeric powder (0.5 tsp)
- Green chilies (2 pcs)
- Curry leaves (5 to 7 leaves)
- Mustard seeds (0.5 tsp)
- Lime juice (1 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil or ghee (1.5 tbsp)
Instructions for poha weight loss recipe:
- Flattened rice comes in different variants based on its thickness. The medium thickness of flattened rice is best for poha. If you go to a nearby store you will get poha-flatten rice easily.
- The lighter the flattened rice, the more lumps it would get while preparation, and the recipe can mess up. So, always opt for a little thick flattened rice for poha preparation.
- Do not over soak flattened rice as it would mess up while cooking. Rinse 2 to 3 times and keep it aside for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Chilies are optional and you can adjust or avoid them as per your preference.
- Pure Ghee would be a better replacement for other cooking oil in the preparation. Your recipe should be healthy and tasty at the same time.
- You can always add other veggies as per your preference. The more veggies, the more healthy recipe, and more weight loss friendly. Veggies are low in calories and good as a weight loss diet.
Must-read guides for you
- Rinse flatten rice 2 to 3 times and leave it for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure, not to over rinse or over soak your flattened rice as it would get messed up while cooking.
- While your flattened rice is getting soaked, take a cooking pan, and add cooking oil or ghee into it.
- Now, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Put finely chopped chiles and curry leaves in the heating oil. Sautee it for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and turmeric powder. Sautee onion well till it starts turning a little brown.
- Now add all veggies in the list above and put in the pan. Sautee all the ingredients well and let them cook on a medium flame for a few minutes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked well, add salt and sautee all the ingredients to mix the salt well.
- Now, check for the flattened rice for its softness and add it to the pan. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add black pepper, lemon juice, roasted peanuts, and coriander leaves and mix everything well and turn off the stove.
Your fresh, tasty, and healthy weight loss poha recipe is ready to eat.
Calories in poha: 1 plate (100 grams )
Find the nutrition profile in 100 grams of cooked poha below in the table. The values in the below table are approximate values.
Calories and nutrition in 100 grams or 1 plate of poha:
|Poha Nutrition and calories in 100 grams
|Values (approx. values)
|Total Calories (100 grams)
How many calories do 100 grams of poha have?
100 grams of poha contains about 130 calories in which you get 2.6 grams of protein, 27 grams of carbs, 1.5 grams of protein, and 1.1 grams of fiber as nutrition.
You can customize the total calories and bring them down by adding more veggies into your 100-gram poha recipe. As we know, veggies are low in calories and can be eaten in volume.
So, if you add a lot of veggies while preparing 100-gram poha, you can make it even more weight loss and calories friendly.
Preparation details of vegetable poha
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
Is poha good for weight loss?
Poha is good for weight loss with a rich nutrition profile. This is the most common question people ask if poha is good for weight loss or not.
People misunderstand thinking poha is not good for weight loss as it is a little high in carbs. When it comes to weight loss, you have to think in terms of calories and have to maintain a balance of all essential nutrients including carbs.
If you eat in the required quantity under your daily calorie budget, not only poha but any healthy food is good for weight loss and for a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of poha for weight loss
Below are some of the advantages of eating poha for weight loss:
- Poha is low in calories and has a rich nutrition profile. Therefore, it is a great weight loss-friendly diet.
- The poha recipe is rich in fiber and other nutrients.
- Eating poha makes you feel full and helps you avoid overeating by consuming fewer calories, unlike other Indian breakfasts.
- Poha can be adjusted easily by adding different veggies, making it tastier and weight loss friendly.
- The poha recipe is rich in iron, fiber, vitamins, and considered a wholesome meal.
Find the list of other Indian weight loss recipes below:
- Beetroot juice for weight loss: Carrot-apple miracle juice
- 5 Indian breakfast for weight loss: Healthy veg recipes
- Moong dal chilla recipe: Weight loss friendly diet