How many carbs a day should I eat to lose weight? This question looks easy but the answer is a little complicated given a person’s body type, age, gender, and other several factors.
There is no specific rule for the number of carbs one should follow to lose weight. For one, a particular amount of carbs might seem to be working and for others, it might be still a mystery.
But, some researches showed that a low-carb diet has worked like wonder in losing extra fat. So, it is very crucial to control your daily carb intake.
There are few carbs range preferred to lose weight but again it depends on persons to person.
How many carbs a day should I eat to lose weight?
How many carbs a day one should eat? To answer it, let me show you how carb range works.
Carbs ranges for weight loss:
- A carb range between 100 to 150 grams is for those who want to lose weight at a moderate pace.
- Another, range of 50 to 150 grams is helpful to lose weight a little fast.
- A range below 50 grams can make your weight loss goal reach faster. But, again it depends on different body factors.
Low Carb Snack: Indian Palak Chilla Diet Recipe
List of ingredients:
- Spinach (palak)- 1 bunch
- Fenugreek leaves (methi)- 1/2 bunch
- Semolina (rava/suji)- 1/3 cup
- Gram flour (besan)- 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder- 1/3 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/3 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/3 tsp
- Cumin- 1/3 tsp
- Oil- 2 tbsps
- Salt- As per taste
- Water- As required
- Take washed and cleaned spinach and fenugreek leaves and chop them finely.
- In a mixing bowl add chopped fenugreek and spinach leaves.
- Add gram flour, semolina, salt and keep adding all powder and masalas into the bowl one by one. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Now add water, make sure not to put more water at a time.
- Add some gram flour (small quantity) and mix well, if required. Your mixture is ready now.
- Heat a pan and add oil and spread it around.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and place it on Tawa. Flatten it with your hand, do not over flat it.
- Add some oil on the pancake or chilla and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a medium flame.
- Flip it over and cook another side till light brown color. Adjust flame.
- Pour some oil on it and press it with the help of a spatula to cook it well from inside.
- Keep flipping the Tawa until both the sides are cooked well.
- Once done, take it out on your favorite plate and enjoy with your favorite chutney or sauce.
Low carb diet snack: Palak chilla recipe video
Nutrition (1 Chilla): Approx value
- Protein: 4.7 gram
- Fat: 4.4 gram
- Carbs: 10.9 gram
- Fiber: 2.0 gram
- Total Calories (1 chilla): 106 calories
Suggested article for you: Workouts beneficial for weight loss
Which is best, a low-carb diet or a low-fat diet?
To answer this question let me show you some facts gathered from an experiment.
In this experiment fifty-three, obese females were put on a trial in which 42 completed the trail divided into two groups — “low-carb” and “a low-fat” diet groups at 3 and 6 months.
After this experiment, it was found that a Low-carb group was able to lose weight fast compared to the low-fat group.
Read detail about the experiment from a trusted source here. I hope this experiment would answer the above question.
Read about my successful weight loss journey & diet plan here
Low- carb food
Here is the list of low- carb foods:
- Almost all veggies like cabbage, cauliflowers, spinach, mushrooms, etc are considered to be the best low-carb options.
- Nuts and seeds also have low-carb in it, like almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, peanuts, flaxseeds, etc.
- Dairy products like, cheese, yogurt, etc are all low carb diets. Some fruits like watermelon, berries, avocados, etc are low carb fruits family.
- All meats and eggs are almost no carb foods.
Suggested article for you: Best book to read in your weight loss journey
What are some good ways to reduce carb intake?
First thing is to stick to all low carb foods mentioned above to control your carb intake. You need to check your diet properly for carbs and below are some points you can consider doing so.
- Check for sugar intake in your daily meals. Try to reduced white sugar intake, if possible eliminate and replace it with other healthy options like jaggery. Stay away from sugar added drinks like all soft drinks in the market.
- Your major carbs come from the bread you eat. Many people are completely dependent on bread or Rotis which is the major contributor of carbs in your diet. You need to reduce the amount as per your daily carb requirement and switch to more veggies on your plate. I am not saying to eliminate but reduce the amount of your daily bread intake.
- It is always the best idea to make multi-grain flour instead of eating plain wheat flour. I will soon share how to make multigrain flour at home.
- Try to stick to veggies as much as possible. Mostly all veggies are low in carb and some can be eaten in volume like cabbage, spinach, cauliflower, mushroom, etc.
- Calcium is very important for your body and if you love eating dairy product then it is good for your body. It give you the feeling of fullness reducing your want of carbs but not all dairy product available in the market is good, particularly all those flavored ones. Cotton cheese (Paneer) is the best option for you here.
- I would suggest the best way to track and control your carb and calorie intake is to track it daily on a good calorie counter apps. I prefer the “Heathifyme” app.
These are some important ways you can follow to have a track of your carbs and control it.
Suggested article for you: Corn Daliya Khichdi – Veg diet for weight loss
What are some health benefits of a low carb diet?
Good question. Let me brief it in points below so that you get a good understanding of its benefits.
- The first and foremost benefit of eating low carb food is that it helps reduce your appetite. The whole magic of losing weight lies in controlling your appetite. One who can control this can control weight. But how? The reduction of carb is the thing that can help you. Protein is the best buddy that can help you in controlling daily carb-intake. And, even the right amount of fat in your diet can help you with this as well.
- Low carb food can help you increase good cholesterol. HDL(High-density lipoprotein) is called good cholesterol which is important to lower the risk of heart disease.
- Reducing carbs lowers the blood sugar, also lowers the insulin levels. Low-carb diet is helpful for people suffering from diabetes
- A low carb diet is also helpful in lowering your blood pressure.
Suggested article for you: Benefits of green tea in weight loss and how it helped me in my journey
How many carbs a day should I eat to lose weight? -My view
Above are some major benefits of a low carb diet. There are other benefits of a low carb diet as well.
To wrap everything up in a few lines I would say a low carb diet is really helpful in your weight loss. And answer to this question “How many carbs a day to eat for weight loss” is below this paragraph.
Tracking your total calorie and carb intake is very important. Without a disciplined eating and tracking calorie, carb and other nutrients properly it is difficult to achieve your weight loss goal.
Always remember to drink enough water throughout your day which also gives you the feeling of fullness and helpful in controlling carbs.
Last but not the least, answer to this question “How many carbs to eat for weight loss?” depends upon several factors and has no specific answer as I already stated above but controlling carbs in your diet will work in your weight loss for sure.
Suggested article for you: Best Indian diets for weight loss
I keep sharing my tips, diet plan, and lots of motivation for a successful weight loss through my Instagram account. Check here and never lose your motivation for your mission to fitness.